Our Practice Areas
With extensive experience in white collar criminal defense, administrative actions, litigation and internal investigations, our firm can achieve the best result for your complex legal matters.
White Collar Criminal Defense
The Grail Law Firm focuses on White Collar defense of economic and business crime allegations against business owners, corporate officers and directors, and professionals. We take on government and internal investigations, pre-indictment representation
When called to court, we work tirelessly for the best possible result, and we work to mitigate other harmful collateral consequences of prosecution, including professional licensure, permitting and parallel civil suits.
We have represented clients in criminal matters involving allegations of:
- Wire and mail fraud
- Federal securities and commodities fraud
- Criminal tax fraud and evasion
- Environmental compliance
- Public corruption
- Healthcare/anti-kickback allegations
- False Claims Act matters
- Criminal OSHA violations
- Bank Secrecy Act matters
- Customs violations
- Food & Drug Act violations
- Federal and State Controlled Substance Act violations and Diversion matters
Administrative Actions and Appeals
The Grail Law Firm has represented individuals and organizations before a wide range of administrative enforcement and lincensing actions, such as:
- SEC & CFTC
- PA Attorney General
- State Medical, Osteopath, Dental, Nursing & Other Professional Licensing Boards
Complex Commercial Litigation
Think of our firm for matters where you need us to step in on a moment’s notice, and especially where your regular outside firm is conflicted. We serve as trial counsel and also handle specialty matters in federal and state court, and in administrative agency litigation. Our practice emphasizes complex commercial litigation, injunctions, trade secret cases, IT breach allegations, First Amendment Defense and False Claims Act claims of all types, especially involving health care issues.
We practice lean staffing, but rely heavily on subject matter specialists and investigators who previously made their career in law enforcement chasing down facts and helping work up analyses.
- Advised a publicly-traded energy sector company on standards and practice for directors in conflict situations;
- Defended licensed professional health care provider specialists in federal criminal and regulatory enforcement proceedings;
- Advised eight subjects of a statewide investigating grand jury inquiry into historical allegations on due process and fundamental fairness/privilege grounds
- Defended the CEO and CFO of a for-profit health care provider against allegations of violating the Federal False Claims Act.
- Represented an extradited technology expert on charges of criminal computer used brought in two different federal court districts.
- Defended a national pharmaceutical provider from federal and state False Claims Act allegations in federal court in Chicago;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of defamation claims against a well-known entertainer in federal court in Pittsburgh, and successfully defended that decision in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, then sitting in Philadelphia;
- Advocated on behalf of a market-leading medical device designer/manufacturer before a key federal agency on product safety issues;
- Represented a world-leading commodity trader in defending market manipulation charges before a major federal administrative agency;
- Defended a bank against claims it made false statements to the federal government in connection with lending transactions.
Recently we have been retained for:
- Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering inquiries on behalf of a small, community bank;
- System-wide IT breach allegations at a privately-held service business;
- Accounting improprieties suspected at a major Western PA foundation;
- Foreign Corrupt Practice Act violation allegations by a major financial institution.